D.I.Y. Credit Management & Debt Elimination Video Programs

Debt Warriors Video Programs and Software teach American Consumer's step-by-step, how to eliminate their Unsecured Debt - for themselves.

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Protecting Your Credit During A Divorce



I'm going through a divorce right now.



That's right, 20 years of marriage is coming to a bitter-sweet end. My soon to be ex-wife decided that she is ready to move on. I honestly wish her the best.

I'm speaking about this not to defame her but to share that unexpected events happen to us all.
50% of marriages today end in divorce. Divorce is hard to avoid these days. So what can you do to proctect your credit during a divorce? I'll tell you in just a second. But first let me get my side out.

I pulled my ex-wife and her then four children off of welfare. I helped put her through school and was a full-time Dad. She recieved her Bachelors Degree and started working in the Insurance Industry for one of the nations biggest companies.

Everything was going well in our lives until the hurricane season of 2004.

Charile, Jean and the gang were beating Florida like it sole the election. The storms scared my ex-wife out of Florida. Sshe moved back to Michigan to look for work, leaving me with all of the bills. Hey, I was trying to keep my marriage intact.

So, I'm paying the car loan, the house payment, the utilities, the food, everything. She was flying back and forth from Florida to Michigan having a fall fling with an old crush. I was heart-broken. I tried to get counseling and it was working, until her Mother died suddenly. My marriage was in ruins and we were morning the loss of one of our families Matriarchs. After her Mother passed that was it. She was moving back to Michigan with or with out me.

She insisted on moving our family from Florida to Michigan, with no job, no home, no income - nothing.

I said "that's a crazy idea". I told her that the manufacturing sector is Michigans bread and butter and that the state economy was about to plummet. I forwared her emails about the economy there to show her objective sources. She still insisted. So I agreed and put in my 3 month notice to my boss to let him know. I told my wife that I'd move back to Michigan to keep my family together.

She Said "never-mind. I don't want you to move back." I was puzzeled. I did what she demanded and then she changed her mind - about me going back to Michigan with her. So she proposes a 'Separation'. I say OK. We decide to tell the kids. That's when she said "I want a divorce".

I was blown away

The kids were shocked. They expected a separation. I had told them that things were looking bad months before. But they did not expect to hear divorce. The kids and I realized that she meant business. So today, after a 3 year break-up, my ex-wife decided she's ready to move on.

She was drowing in debt

Her credit was horrible. She had credit cards all with default interest rates. She was without a job and her car loan was in repossession status. She had considered Bankruptcy, but I decided against it about one year prior.

We decided to separate our money shortly after we got married. My credit score was 730 my beacon was good enough to co-sign a no money down loan on a new car (but they got me on the interest rate). So I was doing well and my credit was very healthy. What I didn't know what how far in debt she was and how that would make my life extreamly stressful.

The first thing you can do is take your husband or wife serious when they say "I want a divorce". Always take it seriously and protect your credit. Over the next few post, to help you, I'll tell you what you can do before, during, and after a divorce.





--------------------------------------------------------
Don't Let Debt Defeat you!

Log onto http://www.debtwarriors.com/








No comments: